Using the temperature setting on a kettle is worth it

I have a kettle at home, which allows me to set the temperature. I use this feature every day to save energy and because boiling water for tea to 100°C (212°F) doesn't make sense: I would have to wait for the water to cool down again before I can drink it. While this device was more expensive than a simpler kettle, I was curious how soon this investment pays off. So, I did some calculations:


Let's assume I boil 1 liter of water a day at 70°C (158°F) instead of 100°C (212°F).

Heating the water 30°C less (54°F less) requires 125.4 kJ less energy, which is equivalent to 0.035 kWh less electricity a day. Or 12.81 kWh less electricity a year.

Assuming the electricity price is €0.48 per kWh, this equals to €6.15 a year.

Assuming the kettle was €20 more expensive than a simpler design, it just takes 3 years and 3 months for the investment to be worth it.


Conclusion: investing in a kettle with a temperature setting is worth it not only because it saves energy, but is also cheaper in the long run.



Comments